boglwe
Greetings, I am new here, but need help.

I have a 74 super beetle and my VW was parked in the same spot for about a week. When I started it to move it back to the garage, the front right tire would not move at all. It is as if the brake is locked on it. I have checked and double checked the emergency brake, it is not that.

My local Bug warehouse said it had something to do with the "brake adjustment", is this so, and if so, how does it work? How do I go about fixing it on my own?
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Hi
I;m guessing that the brake drum has just rusted up and is stopping the brake shoe from moving...
brake drums and discs rust very fast as they are clean metal..

normally, the brakes do not need adjusting after the car is just sitting..???
but if the brake shoes won't come loose...
You can adjust them thru two holes in the backing plate behind the brake drum...
these holes should have a rubber plug in them but them may be missing... if still there, just pull them off..
You then need to put a large screwdriver or brake adjuster in the hole into the teeth on the adjuster and turn it...
one way it will loosen the brake shoes.. the other way will tighten...  You need to do both shoes [normally]..

I hope this helps...

cheers

LEE in Australia

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
olspeed
If the adjustment doesn't work you might want to change the brake hoses... As they get older they tend to swell shut inside so when you step on the brakes the pressure from the master cylinder will expand the hose and let the fluid through, but when you let off the hose closes and won't let the fluid return keeping the wheel cylinder pressurized. Infact with age of your car you just might want to change the hoses anyway.
Olspeed

66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
boglwe
Amazing....I will have the car in the air on Tuesday and then reply back here if I ve any issues. Thanks a ton so far.
Quote 0 0
boglwe
Does anyone happen to know which way the brake adjusters turn to loosen?
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Should be righty tighty- lefty loosey... But even now I still cheat and look in the hole with my minie-mag light to see which way to turn it.
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0