Wayne
Get DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid. DOT 3 & 4 are the commonly used specifications for automotive brake fluid; DOT 3 is generally required for disc brakes. DOT 3 was previously identified as SAE 7OR2 and more recently as SAE J1703. DOT 4 is also identified as SAE J1704. DOT 5 brake fluid is generally a silicone product and is not recommended unless the system is specifically designed for it. DOT 3 & 4 fluids are identified by their clear to amber color: DOT 5 is colored purple.
Wayne Dean
SuperBeetles.com
AllAirCooled.com
Quote 0 0
Ron
What kind of brake fluid would be best to use? I finished replacing my front shoes and was thinking about replacing the brake fluid.

Quote 0 0
Ron
Thanks Wayne,
How often should you change out he fluid? Should you try to empty the reservoir or try to completely drain the lines?

Quote 0 0
Wayne
It probably says something about how often to replace the brake fluid in your owners manual. If you haven't changed it in a while, I would do it. The easiest way is to bleed the system at one of the wheel cylinders. Run a plastic windshield washer tube from the bleeder bolt to a bottle. Pump the brakes and the new fluid will work it's way through the system. Make sure you keep adding to the reservoir so it doesn't go dry and suck air into the lines. On the last pump, hold the pedal to the floor and tighten the bleeder bolt and you're good to go.
Quote 0 0
Ron
Sounds pretty easy, I wonder if the system will need to be bled afterwords?
Quote 0 0
Wayne
I changed the instructions above since you are not changing any wheel cylinders. You shouldn't have to bleed the other cylinders since you are not opening the system (assuming you change the fluid correctly and don't get any sucked air into the lines). If the pedal seems spongy when you are all done you can go from wheel cylinder to cylinder and bleed them all.

Quote 0 0