staticattic

I crawled under my car yesterday to adjust my back brakes. The dust caps that were supposed to cover the adjusters were long gone. As such, my adjusters have all seized. I could not get any of them to budge. I was going to spray some WD-40 on them, but was concerned about getting WD-40 on my brake shoes. Is it ok to spray some in to loosen the adjusters?

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
staticattic

Cancel that. I was checking things out today and noticed my master cylinder is leaking fluid. I think my problem is bigger than seized adjuster screws. I think I am going to go ahead and make the switch to disc brakes while I am under there replacing my master cylinder. I still don't have much for back brakes, but I guess I can convert those to discs later...

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
NoH2O

Jeff, you can spray WD-40 on the adjusters, it won't hurt anything. I'd suggest using PB Blaster though, WD-40 is basically useless for cutting through rust.

I had disc brakes all the way around on my '74 Super. Not cheap but well worth it.

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
staticattic
Thanks. I am going to give it a go this weekend, if my brakes will last that long. I just got a new master cylinder today. I had to put my car into a skid again today, so I know there is still something there, not much, but it is there. This time I was going about 60 when a jackass pulled out right in front of me. I started thinking about discs and their "stopping power". I will agree discs will stop a car faster, but I still can't see how discs won't also put me into a skid easier as well. All the stopping power in the world isn't going to do much good if the tires don't stick. I have never had any experience with discs on a bug, so it may be my lack of experience speaking here. I do have a front disc conversion kit on its way (should be here this weekend), the one Ryan recommended in his High Performance 101 article. Maybe once I put them on and actually feel for myself how discs feel, I will change my song.
Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
NoH2O

Your right there Jeff. If you stand on any brakes hard enough you'll skid. The point with the discs are that they give better stopping power with less effort on your part. ABS is the only way to get non skid braking, but that's another story. You'll definitely be able to feel the difference. Good luck with the swap.

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0