organcory

I have a 1972 Super Beetle and when I get up to about 35-40 MPH, the steering wheel will starting bouncing or jerking all over the place, and is hard to control.  I also notice this when I go to brake.  I just got new tires and had them balanced.  This was happening before I got the new tires.  Anyone have any suggestions on what it could be.

Cory Organ
West Columbia, SC
1972 Super Beetle - "THE BUG"
1966 Ford Mustang
Quote 0 0
flash
Use the search function on this great site and you'll find lots of info on the infamous front end shimmy between 40 and 45 MPH.  Check all the front end bushings and replace with the new urathane ones.  But, before that make sure your tires are not out-of-round.  Also, the best way to have the tires and wheels balanced is ON THE Car.  I got my shimmy squared away after doing these things.

Loren
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
roger
After you have gone thru your front end and still have problems,What i do is make sure you have 20psi in the front tires
and i added a 100lbs sack of sand at the very front of car for more weight.It worked for me although it sounds crazy.
Quote 0 0
71SuperBee

Cory,

I have a 71 super bee, and guess what, check your tie rod ends, especially the center tie rod or tie rod ends because the 71 comes with a made together tie rod and ends..my car done the same thing it was like fighting a damn bull.. anyway i would replace if you haven't already done this . The tie rod ends. That and the steering dampner. I learned from this very well. I put new ends and new dampner and all is well thanks. I hope this helps...

Aaron
71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
organcory

Thanks for the comment.  I had all the front end bushings replaced and all is well.  It rides like a champ now, except I have to get it aligned.

Cory Organ
West Columbia, SC
1972 Super Beetle - "THE BUG"
1966 Ford Mustang
Quote 0 0
71SuperBee
 Good deal,

was the tie rod ends worn out though? and I live in dalton,ga. We are not that far from each other. Maybe we can get together and learn a little more about the vw's. Right now I have a 71 that I am working on the body to get it smoothed out and get it painted. I only have a few rough spots that are going to take some hard sand paper. If you know anyone that wants to sell parts let me know man..

Aaron
71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
bob
I have a 1974 Super Beetle and had the same problem of vibration around 40mph, my center bar needed to be replaced yet again after two years. (what a piece of crap) I took the old one out, measured the bar and cut both ends off. The bar went into a lathe chuck and was center drilled, both ends, then threaded with a 14 x 1.5 mm tap. I replaced the fixed ends with regular right thread ball joints, the part number for the ball joints is 311-415-812C, you will need metric nuts to lock the ball joints in place. After you have installed the center bar make sure to adjust the ball joint caps to evenly cover the ball joint, now fixed to your steering arm and floating arm. The best part about this is the next time I have a problem with this center bar, I will only have to replace a ball joint instead of the whole thing.
Quote 0 0