MY72BUG
I hate to be the one to flog a dead distributor but the more I use my new vacuum advance model, the more I like it and the more I wonder what was the purpose of the mechanical advance 009 in the first place?  Just like CIP 1 says, adding the vacuum advance distributor has ended that initial flat spot on the power curve when accelerating.  Surely the 009 did something, but what?   Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
Quote 0 0
Ryan
Because there are MANY modified engines out there that do not have the correct vacuum signal to operate an SVDA.  --Ryan
Quote 0 0
68autobug

the 009 Bosch distributor was never ever used by Volkswagen

its an aftermarket distributor that was cheaper than the original dual dizzies

and they were sold as the best thing you could add to your Beetle...
and they are still being sold in Australia...

they are NOT as accurate as an original VW distributor

and they say that every one can be different to tune..
so they must be tuned at 30 degrees with the engine revving

My engine has one, and I'm always on the lookout for a vacuum/mechanical distributor..

I can notice the 009 distributor doesn't advance until the engine revs..  probably because My beetle is an autostick

My Son has two beetles with 009s
one with a Holley carby and the other with twin webers..
He may not notice any difference...

The 009 seems to be losing favour in the USA
as replacement distributors are in the shops..
I only see 009s in Australia...

cheers

Lee

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Thanks guys, now I know.  After having used a timing light to watch how the two distributors advanced the timing, it was clear that the vacuum advance was smooth on acceleration and deceleration.  The Bosche lagged, then jumped and then hung up on the deceleration.  I guess it can always make a great paperweight.  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
Quote 0 0