staticattic

I was wondering if anyone knew if it were possible to buy a roof mounted bike / surf board rack on an air cooled bug? Thule makes a roof mount system that uses the gutters of the vehicle, but according to their website, it is for 1972 buses. Is there a difference in the gutter sizes for buses and bugs? The only thing I can think of is the mount needing to be attached by the doors. That does not give much front and back separation space between the two mounts on a bug. On the other hand, Yakima makes a kit where the rack can permanently be bolted to the car. That is looking like if I really want to get a roof mounted bike / surfboard carrier, the Yakima is my better choice. I really don't want to drill holes in my roof though. What do you guys think? If I do drill the holes, it looks like two on each "foot", how hard are they to fill if some day down the road I decide I don't want the rack on there any more? Even worse, if I drill holes, I am going to have to fix my headliner. I want a roof rack, but I don't want my car looking ghetto. Especially since I have spent all of this time restoring her.  

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
I read up on this awhile ago while looking for a rack for my double cab. You have to have a taller mounting bracket to clear the arch of the roof on either bug or bus. I've heard from a couple people that the Thule rack mounts scratch the top of the door frames. Yakima 1A mounts with higher pillars is the way to go. I've seen several bugs with this set up. Get the mounts and then just run whatever load size cross bars you want. That way you can add whatever mounting hardware you want be it bike, canoe, surfboard.

P.S. If you happen to mount a canoe on there, please take pics! That's gotta be hilarious looking.

Steve
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
staticattic

Thanks. I used to carry around my two seater kayak on the roof of my Jetta with a Thule rack. As bad as the Jetta would get blown around, I couldn't imagine throwing that on top of my bug. It would be kind of funny looking though. I think my best option is to take the bug to the local outdoors shops and actually test fit different configs.

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0