Precise1
Hello sup73bk, I was just refering to your comment about your rear end sliding. You must drive the bug hard... I was just trying to be humorous; no offence intended... Be well.

Bernard
Measure twice; Cut once....
Quote 0 0
javajuice
Lets start a list of best performance for the buck for future reference.

Engine, suspension, braking, etc.

I would humbly suggest that we include the other relevent specs. I.e. if you installed carbs and had a big improvement it might be nice to know, what exhaust, heads, cam, rockers, etc. you had as well.

I currently have a bone stock super, and unfortunately can't contribute yet to the list. But everyone's input may help me and others decide where to spend our hard earned money.

Things I'd like to tease out in this exercise is, was it worth it to spend X dollars more for the German part, than the Mexican, Brazilian, Taiwanese part. OR is Scat's part really better than brand X, possible duarability excluded.
formerly 1973 Super Beetle: Bugpack quick shift, Bug pack hide a way, TMI light grey tweed seat upholstery, a decreasing amount of grey primer ;)
Quote 0 0
Tobra
The best performance upgrade for a bug is bigger tires and wheels. You generally will improve the appearance too, but you will have better braking and handling with more rubber, and lighter alloy wheels. I have always felt stopping and turning were more important than going.
'79 Super Beetle Convertible, Topline Sport+ springs and disc brake conversion. SS brake lines, KYB GR-2struts and Gas-a-just shocks
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
I don't have a bunch of stuff on my car, but I would have to say the best improvements I have made for the buck were either (in order of cost from $40-200) : Short Shift, Exhaust (GT Exhaust, probably not the best, but you feel a difference, looks good), Sway bars. I had the 5/8" in the front and then I think 5/8" in the back and everything was cool, but when I put the strut tower bar on my rear end started to really slide. I then got in a wreck and rebuilt the front end and replaced the 5/8" front with 7/8" and it doesn't slide as bad at all. This is just my observations and feel of the car. Hopefully this helps.
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0
Precise1
LOL sup73bk, what the heck are you doing with that bug ? While I have not done either yet (I know, SH.. up) everything that I have seen upgrade wise for bugs 1)handling
=rear sway bar. 2) performance=electronic ignition (which will pay for its self with less tune up parts and less grief). Both are bang for stock bug as I understand. Please correct me

Bernard
Measure twice; Cut once....
Quote 0 0
Tobra
I forgot all about the short shifter deal, little thing you stick in there to shorten your throws, okay, for $5 that is number one. I need to get a sway bar upgrade pretty bad. Electronic ignition would be nice too, helps a lot on diminishing maint time, better power and fuel economy, only downside is the cost, whichis not that much if you think about the time and money you save
'79 Super Beetle Convertible, Topline Sport+ springs and disc brake conversion. SS brake lines, KYB GR-2struts and Gas-a-just shocks
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
Precise 1 can't really understand your question or understand if you are making fun of me or not. Anyways, I keep it real!
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

Quote 0 0
sup73bk
I thought you were joking, but didn't know what you were refering too. Yeah, I am pretty hard on V.W., but I like to have fun in it and get loose. Once, we got about a foot of snow and my friend, who had a 4X4 Explorer went out in the snow and I would slide my bug and it was just a wave of snow going over the car. Lots of fun, but had to limp the thing home because of all the snow that was packed in the tires, wheel wells and steering components. After all melted off it was back to normal though.
1972 1302S

Quote 0 0