73superman
Okay, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but I don't know where else to ask (this site is great)... I rebuilt my speedo without a problem, and even reset the odo to complete my rebuild. Before I go to the trouble of putting the speedo back in, I would like to replace the scratched-up plastic lens that goes over the speedo itself. Has anyone ever done something like this before, and if so, where did you get the lens? The one I have now used to have a film over it that converted mi to km, I think; its long since flaked off.
Thanks!
Will
1973 Superbeetle (California Edition)
Personally-built 1600cc Aluminum DP
Pertronix Ignitor EI and Flamethrower Coil
Taylor Hi-Perf plug wires
Billet oil filler
Urethane suspension bushings
Stainless Braided brake lines
Color-matched brake drums
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
Hey man, I've picked up a lot of good items from thesamba.com classifieds. Some of the guys on there can be pricey but everyone I've dealt with has been very cooperative. Good Luck!

Steve
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
73superman
yeah, I don't see any speedo "lenses" for sale. plenty of complete standard speedos, but not what I'm looking for. Does anyone know if the lenses are the same, maybe I have to buy a complete speedo and take the lens out of it.

Will
Billet oil filler
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
I think your best solution would be to polish the one you have. If there are no deep gouges in it you could start with a fine sandpaper, go to 000, or 0000 steel wool and then an actual polishing compound. I read an article about it somewhat recently with before and after shots and the after looked brand new. Hope this helps you out.
-Patrick
Quote 0 0
73superman

That helps a lot, I think I'll give that a try! Whats the worst that could happen, I have to go buy a new one anyways...

Billet oil filler
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
Thats the nice thing about fixing something thats already screwed up. let me know how it works 'cause I need to do mine.
-Patrick
Quote 0 0