DeadHead
I have an auto stick '73 super. Does anybody know which speeds to shift? I don't have a tacometer, so I haven't a clue. Or, does anybody have any info. on installing a tac? Thanx!
May the four winds blow you safely home.
Quote 0 0
I know little about these cars but I'll say this. My manual car has little marks on the speedo as to where to shift. Does your speedo have the same? I've found the marks to be a bit off for comfortable driving but not that far off.
-Steve
Quote 0 0
Matt
It really Pretty Simple, once you think about it as more auto thaen stick.

L - uphills, or pulling stuff
1 - normall driving, around city, up to i think around 50 somethin mph.
2 - Highway, can be used for city driving to get better gas Millege, but with less pickup.

Hope that helps.

MattyV
Quote 0 0
oldyeler
I also have a 356 porsche replica but with the T-3 fully automatic in T-1 mounts. To really acellerate quickly,I almost have to red line it to 5,000 in second before it shifts into drive But usally around 4,500 seem fine . I think since it.s a 3 speed it would be close.
I have to run a 195 65 on the rear for tire clearance. So the revs are a bit higher. 165 70s will clear but this way I get more tire on the ground . thats a must for the lighter 356 car
Quote 0 0
dods1600
Trouble thoughs little marks you see on your speedo are the redlines for each gear not the shifting points.
1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
DeadHead
Ok, I just found out how to work my auto stick. It's sooooo simple. You shift from 1st to second between 30 and 40 mph and you leave it in second and DONT downshift at all (that would ruin the transmission). You only shift back to 1st gear when you make a complete stop, and you don't even do that! You can leave it in second as long as you want! That's tooo cool.
The only negative thing about the auto stick is that theyre very touchey. Just the slightest bump could put it into neutral.
May the four winds blow you safely home.
Quote 0 0
oldyeler
Cool!!!
I have a superbeetle that Im resstoring I haven't even drivin the car on the road since I bought it. It went straight into the shop I have arther in the joints. So I will luv the auto stick
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Auto Stick semi-automatic Beetle..
Drive 1 & Drive 2 are the only two forward gears used in normal driving... LOW is only for heavy loads on steep hills.. You can change up or down it won't hurt the engine or gearbox...
Normally You change into 2nd at 35 mph and away You go..
You can change back inti 1st at any speed under 55 mph..

You can of course use All 3 forward gears to accelerate faster if You wish.. although this was never in VW manuals.
Owners of Auto Sticks have told Me this...

Lee Noonan - 68AutoBug -- Australia -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0