ljohn

Any of you Buggies had any experience with an auto stick shift transmission it being a 1974...?

LJohn
Quote 0 0
flash

A VW bug with an auto transmission seems sacrilegious to me.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
ljohn

Actually my brother had one in high school it worked well but not sure about  repair if needed. Not mine ...mine is a 73SB and it be a standard tran. But looking at a 74 Std Beetle that has the auto stick. Going sometime tomorrow to check it out its been in storage since 1986 in Maine, I look at it quickly a couple of weeks ago but did not check it out real close but will .

In one of the Coldest, Snow-est Northern part of the US....Yahooooo

LJohn
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi LJohn,

the autosticks were very well engineered...

well Porsche used them and called it a Sportomatic...

the main problem seems to be, and this really includes all VW transmissions, although I haven't heard of it happening to a manual gearbox...

My manual states that the zinc used in Bronze bushes in the gearbox are eaten away by the Hypoid oil that must be used in a VW gearbox, only if the gearbox is in storage...

How long it takes I don't know,,, My gearbox was in storage for 10 years...

I've just heard of another 68 auto beetle that was in storage for over 10 years and it has the same problem...

the gearbox will be very noisy, even if in neutral...

if the beetle you are looking at has this problem....

the problem doesn't happen if the gearbox is used...

the Bentley manual says to change to another type of oil when storing a VW gearbox... [transaxle]

Lee Noonan -- 68autobug -- Australia --

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Also LJohn,

Parts for these Auto stick systems are getting hard to find...

impossible in some countries...

although there are still many Autosticks in the USA...

Karmann Ghias had the AutoSticks too...

but they are still going after all these years...

the vacuum hoses are easy to replace...

and the clutch is either in or out so very little wear...

Many Autostick owners keep on the lookout for a spare autostick assembly that someone has taken out and replaced with a manual gearbox...

Lee Noonan -- 68Autobug -- Australia --

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
ljohn

Well checked it out the body is not to bad the seats need to be redone, but the chassis looks like it should have gone into storage prior to 1986.....Needs a whole lot of fixing, needs a new floor and heater channels. But the headliner is good..!...Hey and that  antennae top notch.....

The passenger side door post at bottom has separated from the heater channel. But the dash is all there including the original radio.....And when they trailered it from Maine all 4 wheels are locked......thinking bearings,

Told the mechanic I probably would not offer much....he agreed it needs lots of repair ...Thinking $400 at best......Or walk away....Not sure yet........ 

Any comments.....?

LJohn
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi LJohn,

well thats too much rust for Me, as Beetles don't generally rust that much, in Australia, unless they have been in salt water...

it may be the brakes that are locked on...

sounds like the car may have been sitting in the weather...

damp weather....??

I know that the rusted parts are available as repair sections ...

but unless You are a good welder etc....

and like pulling beetles apart....

its a big job...

its really only worth what the engine is worth...

cheers

Lee Noonan -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --

-
Quote 0 0
ljohn

You are probably right but I like a challenge.....Have been reading up on the auto stick seeing how there is not that many around I might just tackle it so as to keep another piece of VW history alive..........or I could be banging my head on the wall once I get into it, Overall the body is pretty good but its underneath that is hurting . I checked for the pans looks like about $180 for both not bad. Heater channels about the same I enjoy mech stuff then again maybe I wont after this........And If I say I gave up ...OK you can say "I told you so".....

LJohn
Quote 0 0
rlmill

If you have a pillar that's rusted loose, you are probably looking at replacing the crossmember and the bottom plate on the front framehead, that's another $200 on just the chassis. Then you will probably be finsing a lot more rust on the body than you expected. I'm going through this now on a 74 I'm doing a body off on, I have found atleast twice the rust I was expecting once I started taking things apart. It's a learning process for me so iot just means it will take longer to finish!

Rob

Quote 0 0
68autobug

ljohn wrote:
You are probably right but I like a challenge.....Have been reading up on the auto stick seeing how there is not that many around I might just tackle it so as to keep another piece of VW history alive..........or I could be banging my head on the wall once I get into it, Overall the body is pretty good but its underneath that is hurting . I checked for the pans looks like about $180 for both not bad. Heater channels about the same I enjoy mech stuff then again maybe I wont after this........And If I say I gave up ...OK you can say "I told you so".....

No Worries LJohn,

I'm not really a metalwork/welder person... but My Son is and has replaced the heater channels bottom on a 56 Body He found under a tree...

He also widened the fenders to fit huge rear tires under them....

then painted it so it looked original....

If a door or engine lid etc needs replacing ... I can do that....

but I no longer even try to weld, I just give it to My Son...

Best of Luck with Your project...

and if you fail...

I'll say, "at least you tried..."

as You know Beetles are disappearing at an alarming rate as people who have hoarded them are now crushing them...   not good...

cheers

Lee Noonan -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --

Pic of My Son's 1956 Beetle..

-
Quote 0 0
ljohn

Rob,

Are you talking about the "Frame Head or the Chassis Support Rail "

Either way this auto stick is a Std Beetle the Frame head and bottom section are about $135 for both...and the Chassis Support Panel is $30 as the Super is (man) $169....all Mid America Motorworks pricing.....What a price differences between the Super and the Std

Bought a sand blaster today and more welding clamps, also found the MiG welder I would like to purchase and to boot a bigger air compressor 60gal over the winter months. Went down to the storage to do a couple of things to my Super and I pulled back the cover man what a deal I got on the car after all the others I have seen for a lot more.....Its still shines like its new made the hair stand up on the back of my neck ..."bofh of em".....yup spelled correctly...

Probably be cheaper to buy the car all ready done.....but not as much fun...

Hey Lee thanks for the support, Like your photo...

PS got to get on the Std beetle page talking about this Std b

LJohn
Quote 0 0
rlmill
I'm doing a Super, the Std is a lot cheaper for metal pieces!

Rob

Quote 0 0
ljohn

Bought a Mig welder fell into a good buy $225 its a Solar with the argon tank works great, Only need bigger compressor now and can work on car.

LJohn
Quote 0 0