NYer_in_MI
...and hope for a smart answer.

Ok, so now I've replaced the dry-rotted door seals and I can't fully close the driver's side.  What now?  How do I adjust the doors to accommodate the new seals?

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
MLTigger

Question is did you buy the cheapies or the good seals?

Quote 0 0
flash

Don't mess with the Mexican/Brazilian ones....they're junk.  Buy the German made ones.  Trust me I know.  Same with window rubber.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
Hey Dan. When I replaced mine on my bus, with German seals, it was hard to close for awhile. The rubber finally broke in and became easier to shut. Yours won't shut at all or is just very tight?

Steve
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
flash

That's right now that I think back on it they were tight at first.  The doors would really pop open when you hit the handle.  But, they settle in quite nicely.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
Wayne

I had the same problem with my new my German door seals. They were hard to close and were a weird grey colour. I made sure they were pushed all the way into the door and treated them with Protectorant 303 (like Armoral but better) and shut the doors tight. After a few days they were fine.

Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI
The seals are German.  I'd learned my lesson on Gunther with the cheapy Brazilian jobs and got good German.

The passenger door is merely tight.  The driver's side will only go in on the first click, but still sticks out.  I noticed I need to push the rubber further into into the channels, though, so I'll check back.

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
MLTigger

The German seals are tight, I doubt that a car as old as yours would be air tight but when the VW's were new, you needed to open the window a little to close the door tight.

Quote 0 0