January_girl
I was driving my '73 today and realized that lately, with all the turmoil in the world, the economy etc, that I feel calm and at peace cruising along listening to the sound of the engine. It takes me back to a simpler time and it helps me get some perspective. It also reminds me of my late father who taught me to drive stick on a 72 Super.  All I need now is a cassette of "Who's Next", my all time favorite Who album from back in the day and I'll be in heaven

Can anyone else relate to my nostalgic feelings?

1973 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
flash

Nope.. It would have to me my 57 Chevy Bel Aire Sport Coupe.  With Duane Eddy playing full blast!  Those were the days.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
With you 100%.  I have a glove compartment full of Who, Beatles, Hendrix, Doors, Stones and Moody Blues.  I take in the summer car shows and cruise nights in my little town and effectively switch-off the more maddening elements of today's world if only for a few sane hours.  With the bug in storage until April I am suffering classic withdrawal symptoms.  The music helps but it is not the same without the thrum of the 1600 dual port.
Quote 0 0
January_girl
Thanks! It's great to find a kindred spirit. Maybe you can record a vw engine some how and have it play in the background Anyway, glad I'm not the only one out there who feels like this world is moving way too fast sometimes ( and not always in a good direction!)
1973 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
odyssey704
I just came across this post.  I'm with you 100%.  I just bought a '76 Super Vert after being out of the Beetle lifestyle for ten years or so.  We have a local radio station that is all 70's all weekend.  Cruising in the Super and listening to those '70's tunes is quite theraputic.  Can't wait for warmer weather and some top down crusin'.
'76 Super 'Vert
Quote 0 0
January_girl
Good for you! Enjoy your car, I love driving mine it makes me feel about thirty years younger!
1973 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Hi
Well, My beetle is not a superbeetle but a 1968 autostick beetle and I feel the same way driving My beetle...
You don't get that feeling driving newer cars...

You know exactly what You are doing...
as if You were back in the good old days...

Turn the stereo up so You can hear it over the drumming of the engine... lol
I have a noisy exhaust system..  lol

its good to see the beetle has the same effect on many owners...

Lee

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
January_girl
That's true, it doesn't matter if it's a Super, it's the sound of the air cooled engine coming from the back that, well, sends me back. Growing up in the 70s, my family owned, at different times, a squareback, a fastback, a Thing, a 412, a few bugs, and even a Porsche 914 for a short time. VWs are just in my blood I think. Last year I sold my '67 Bug, it just wasn't a comfortable ride for me anymore. Hopefully, there will be more in my future!
1973 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
I usually feel more nostalgia hearing songs I grew up with than from driving cars from my past. Probably because the only car I still have from my past is languishing in my garage waiting to be reunited with the road.

I do love driving Clyde, but it's more because of the sense of total satisfaction I get knowing that every aspect of success or failure I encounter while driving him is because of what I've done. He's my vindication for all the hard work I put into keeping him on the road.

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Well that may be correct too..

It took Me 10 years of restoration [due mainly to illness] and now I suppose i'm getting satisfaction from what I have acheived..

I also know i have a lot more to do...   lol

but I can drive My beetle any time and its reliable...
and I'm back in the old days...    lol

Lee

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0