Monsterbeetle

Well I picked up a '75 Super today to keep my '73 company.  I felt bad for the kid I got it from.  He paid $3400 for it a year ago from the local classic vw rip-off artist (dealer).  I got it for $1400 (aircooleds seem to be higher in price on the east coast).  Nobody seemed to want it when the kid put it up for sale and the price just keep dropping.  She's in rough shape but has a nice new interior.  Now I just have to find a direction for the project.  Any ideas? 

Quote 0 0
kingd33

Just had the same thing happen to me,Seen this bug(65 standard) for sale but not real interested in another project so I just passed by it every day for about 3 weeks.Finially I stopped just to look at it and the guy said give me an offer.Got it for $250 and drove it home.Felt bad for the guy because he paid $2000 for it a couple of years ago,Of course it will most likely cost me $3 to $5 grand to fix it up!! Still not sure who got the better deal, him or me.

Quote 0 0
Monsterbeetle

Well, look at it this way, at least that bug's got a good home now.  I kinda had an eye out for a standard too, but I still prefer Supers.  For some reason its Supers that always come up for sale in my area.  Oh well, more for me to choose from I guess .

Quote 0 0
nak45z

when i got my super, i got ripped off too, and to top it off it was from my wife's uncle, nasty fuuuuker.  and it was my first beetle.. i didn't even know about supers or what they were..

now i am about 6 grand down and not a working bug yet.. but i am getting there.  I will show him when i am done.

but i want to start on a second super when i am done.  i am taking the second on a different direction.. more of a german look. 

Quote 0 0
Precise1

Hey Monsterbeetle, why don't you make a clean and simple (mainly bolt on and reversable) Cal looking bug out of it. Not too hard to do and can be a head turner; not to mention I bet there are not that many back east.... You asked, I suggested

Bernard
Measure twice; Cut once....
Quote 0 0
Monsterbeetle

Odd that you mentioned the Cal-Look thing because I happened to be kicking that idea around too.  I want one of my Supers to have the classic hot rod look (flat black, flames, etc.) for sure.  The other just might be a Cal-Look bug.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote 0 0
Yea I am contemplating a few ideas my self. 

My super was my mom's she bought it new December 31st 1974

its orange and I kinda wanted to keep it original but then again i know i will never sell it.

I really like the idea of a satin black because well flat is a pain to keep nice. I want the interior to be a tan and then the wheels i have not decided on. I was thinking of a little red and White pin striping to finish her off. Lower it and maybe some suicide doors not sure yet.

Then I was thinking of yellow

I don't know I have seen some cool colors but I am not sure yet.
Quote 0 0
flash
Here's a neat website that let's you see your car with different colors, wheels, tires, exhausts, bumpers.  It might help you.

Loren

http://www.busselecta.com/bugselecta/
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
dods1600

Wow flash that site is really cool.

1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
nak45z

Loren

Thanks for the site.  it was awesome..

Mike
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI
I can verify that air-coolers are more expensive in the East! Out here, in the "Rust Belt", you can't get a chassis with wheels for the $1300 that I paid for my Super. Before "Gunter", I had looked at a comparable Saturn Yellow Standar Beetle, 1972, that wasn't in quite the daily driver shape Gunter is in. The dude wanted $2,500. Another '72, a Marina Blue job, was going for a firm $4,000 and it's in about the same shape as my car.

Now, there was a small import dealer in Midland, not twenty miles West of me, that had a similar Marina Blue Standard, but it was in mint shape. It also had only something like 30k miles on it and was like brand new! The thing looked as though someone was cleaning out a dust broom closet at the factory in Wolfsburg and said, "Hey, Franz! Look at what I found! Holy crap! SOMEBODY wasn't checking the inventory in '72!" For this car, they wanted $8,000.

I had spent month after month after month for over a year searching for just the right car... affordable and close by at the same time. My father lives in Oregon, where Bugs are not only a-plenty but cheap, but he would have nothing to do with helping me procure one and bring it home. :-( Every car that I found here in the North Eastern and Central U.S. was either waaaaaay out of my price range, or it was a rotted hulk! That's why it was such a miracle for me to find this little red-orange Super. It had just been purchased from a previous owner by a guy out in the sticks of Michigan's "Thumb" who owned a auto body shop in the middle of nowhere. The guy had done little more than to make sure that the car was a good daily driver... that it ran well, basically.

It was raining on the day that I drove out to hell and gone to take a peek at the car. My other half, who had been quite a hard sell on the VW idea from the start, came with. The guy had pulled the Bug into his shop so that I could observe it as thoroughly as I like without getting wet. I tried to not be hasty. I'm a veteran of VW ownership, plus I'd earned a few more stripes from long months of searching in ernest for my next Beetle. Still, I had a real sense that this sad-looking little Super Beetle, who's crappy re-paint job was pealing, who had a funky crushed velvet seat cover job done to the interior, who had cracks in the dash pad, a hole in the rear quarter pans, etc, was destined to be my new little ride!

When I came back, a week later, to pick up the car, "he" was parked in a small field behind a line of other used, and somewhat over-used, vehicles. Still, merrily the little car puttered along the grass (one tire nearly flat) to meet me as one of the guy's sons drove it up the hill from the field. All of the car's flaws faded away, and I saw only the real potential that this car had. Beyond that, I knew that I needed to take it home.

What hell I'd gone through, however, just to get this car! Makes me want to move to the South West where air-coolers are still a-plenty, and where they often last longer!
Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
nak45z
Sometimes i fell the same about moving to south west.  but my other half refuses.  but she has agreed to take a trip to cali. and drive up the coast from san diego to washington state.  what she does not know.  i want to do it on my 71 super.  i am keeping her in the dark on that part.  we have made that long trip in a rv.  it was a great trip.  it would feel awesome driving down highway 1 with a bug right before sun down or in washington state along the windy roads with red wood trees on both sides of the road..

mike
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI
Sounds like a fun trip, Dak.  I, myself, plan on taking several pilgrimages to as many VW shows, Bug Outs, etc, that I can make it to within (reasonable) driving distance from Michigan.  Definitely I want to putter down to MAM when they have their big do, and any number of others right here in this state as well!  I will do all of this, that is, if "The Warden" lets me.
Daniel
Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
nak45z
once my dad and brothers went to visit relative in cali for the summer, and they brought back sharp, great condition, pick-up for 800 bucks.  cars just last longer in west coast than anywhere else.  i found a cool 71 sb in a airplane hanger here in brownsville, tx for $500, i am getting after mine is done.  it has been there for 15 years so what is one more year.

mike
Quote 0 0