zip
Hello all. I just registered and want to say hi. I don't have a VW yet. But might be looking for a Super Beetle in the near future. I need help knowing which Beetle to consider. I know next to nothing about them, altho I had a 64 and a 66 many yrs. ago, followed by a 74 bus. They've changed so much I hope my questions don't seem too trivial- but I gotta start somewhere.
Can you point me toward some VW reference materials so I can learn which Super Beetles to look at and which to pass up?
Also, were all Beetles made in 1978 and 1979 convertibles?
Lastly (for now), are all the newer Beetles turbo'd?
Thanks.       
Zip
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Everyone has a different opinion of what is the best model..

Yes on the last beetles - convertibles or cabriolets made by Karmann

Most New Beetles sold in Australia are 1600cc NON turboed

but Now TDI New Beetles are selling well in Australia [Diesel]
and maybe turboed..  but they aren't all Tuboed..

You can learn al lot by reading the history of super on this site..

cheers

LEE

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
zip
Thanks Lee. I know these new -guy posts all ask similar questions so I appreciate your reply..
Zip
Quote 0 0
zip
The history helps a lot. I meant to ask if the Super Beetles thru 79 were turbo'd.  I see now they weren't.   Do the convertibles rattle or are they pretty solid (quiet)? 
Zip
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I can speak for the convertible question.  Once you work out any suspension issues that arise with Super Beetles  ( see any of the posts about "super-shimmy")  they are solid platforms as long as the critical reinforcement rails under the heater channels are intact. The convertible tops have a headliner and padding kit under that outer vinyl cover so that is another plus.  But; quiet?  Well, you do have that 48 horsepower air-cooled engine under all of that doing its thing and the wind noises and whistles can be pretty tuneful but that's why you crank up your Who or Hendrix and then who cares?  The Beetle ain't no Bentley and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Quote 0 0