tazaRock
The first car I drove was one, I always wanted one (and a split window bus). My friend let me baby sit his and I got so into it I had to buy my own.

Just got this. It's a '74 Super. Don't know much about it. It was orange originally. The engine seems to run good. No apparent oil leaks. Just needs some love, new paint, and a system.

I checked a diagram of the wiring but didn't see a list for car stereo. Any particular wires I should plug in and where?

When fiddling around with the battery I "chirped" the alarm, which I didn't know I had. I don't have speakers yet, I just want to make sure I can run power through it before I go any farther.

Thanks and i 'm glad I found this forum. It's great.
Quote 0 0
Wayne

You can pretty much grab power for your stereo from any power wire that you can find. Get a test light and find a wire that has power only when the ignition is on, that way you won't leave your stereo on by mistake and drain your battery.

If you are fussy about the sound or are putting in a killer unit, run a wire directly to the positive terminal on the battery and you'll avoid most of the engine noise that can come through the stereo. Remember to turn your stereo off if you wire it this way as it will always have juice running to it. 

BTW, welcome the the forum my VW brother!

Quote 0 0
tazaRock
Thanks for the advice. I got a test light and found the wires I think I need. 1 that works with ignition, one that powers all the time, and a ground wire. Musta been where the old stereo was ripped out from. OK, here goes nothin' . Time to wire it up.
Quote 0 0
tazaRock
I DID IT!!!! Now I have to get speakers, etc. Anybody know where to get those front side speaker mounts for the super beetles? In L.A.?

I found this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2001227/showCustom-0/p-2001227/N-111+10201+600000587/c-10101

But I want to pick something up in person.

Thanks again
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
Congrats on your new car!! and welcome to the forum. On to the point, call Bill and Steves in Downey. I was just there a couple of hours ago and I think I remember seeing some. They are an excellent source for parts and I've never had problems with their quality that I've had at other places. I live in the valley and there aren't a lot of places this far north. Oh yeah, their # is 562-923-3251 they're closed on monday. I have 2-10's in the back of my '74 with 2-6x9's sitting in a speaker shelf bouncing off the back window and it's more than enough noise.
-Patrick

Quote 0 0
tazaRock
Wow, that sounds tight. So did you lose the back seat then? I have a stereo, and two 6x9s in their own little boxes. I may hook them up tonight. I'd like to get the two 6.5's in the front, a mono amp, and one good sub. That should do it. EQ? maybe. That's all money.

My priority is a a window tint at least to block the sound gear from prying eyes. Then get the brakes looked at. They kinda have a bumpy rhythm. They work but don't feel right. I would like some nice wheels and tires, then paint.

I don't know any good mechanics, but I can figure out the simple stuff. I'll find somebody hopefully.
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
One sub is plenty for a bug. The only reason I have two is that I found a box in the return pile and it was well built and cheap. Rear seat is in and barely latches. I put baffles behind my 6x9's so they would get a little better sound, but I had to make my own rear shelf so the 6x9's could sit up a little higher to leave baffle room. That's my security for now until I get my windows tinted. I haven't put any fabric over my rear shelf yet so if you look in my back window you see a home made speaker shelf with a couple of 6x9's in an old bug with a dented fender. Nobody yet has decided "wow, I've gotta have that". As far as mechanics go, the best one I've found yet is a guy named Bela. Shawn at vintage parts recommended him to me and he did me right. He's in Burbank, I've posted about him before. I don't have his card handy but you can search this site and he'll be there with all of the info you need to find him.
-Patrick
Quote 0 0
chrissamuels

i have a little question for you guys tho, how do you wire a new radio to your car? do you cut off the connector, and attach them manually or what?

Thanks,

Chris

Quote 0 0
tazaRock
I did it.

Before

After

Chris All I did was find the two wires. One that runs power constantly, one that works only with the ignition turned on, and hooked the stereo to them. I grounded the stereo to the body. I'm not sure if that's what you ment but what the hay? It worked for me. This was my first install attempt. I kinda cheated since the previous owner had a stereo. Made finding the wires easy.

Quote 0 0
aircooled299
Same with me, since I run amps and don't use original speakers I just hook up my power and switched power, then it's just hook the speakers to the amps. When I got mine, someone had already chopped out the  radio harness. In fact they had done enough "electrical work" on it that I re-wired the whole car so the harness never really came into play. You could just ignore the harness and run power from the battery with an in-line fuse and power from the load side of the ignition. That way you would still have your harness intact. I've been known to put a pounding stereo in my old bugs by installing the head unit under the dash or in the glove box while leaving the stock one working and hooked up to the speaker. Gives me a choice. sometimes it's nice to listen to my stock '61 Sapphire or my '67 blaupunkt. I also like it from an aesthetic angle. My '74 though is right in the middle of the dash where the stock one was.
-Patrick

Quote 0 0