nak45z
I have been rewiring my 71' super, and i needed to know how many relays does this model have.

do the front headlights turn on when the key is not ON.

Quote 0 0
Wayne
I'm not sure about the amount of relays, but there must be quite a few throughout the car.

The headlights will not go on unless the car is running. If you leave them on and switch the car off, the headlights will go out but the other lights will remain lit.
Quote 0 0
nak45z
what i notice is the the brake lights dont lit if the key is not ON.

on the original speedometer gauge, do the turn signal light have for right and left or one for both sides..
Quote 0 0
nak45z

i followed all the instructions to the T, I will recheck every wire once more.  oh, is the high beam switch on the turn signal switch.

Quote 0 0
Wayne

Your speedo should have one light at the bottom with an arrow pointing both ways. That light will flash for either left or right turn indications.

Floor mounted dimmer switches are listed for 46-65 Beetle, so yours must be part of the turn signal switch.

Quote 0 0
nak45z

do you know what the fuel gauge vibrator does

Quote 0 0
nak45z
Wayne,

I had one more question.  if my 71' sb does not have the engine, and does not have any of wires connected to it.  would all the lights work.

mike
Quote 0 0
beetlemusic
  Hello I can sympathize with you with electrical problems I finally located a fuse block for a 71 super and I am getting ready to replace mine.If  I am not mistaken there are only 2 relays on the fuse block one is the turn signal/E flasher relay the other is the dimmer relay there is one other relay/switch under rear seat I believe is for the rear defroster the switch to turn the rear defrost on is located under dash ( hard to find without looking ) there may be some other relays  located around the car but I am not aware of anymore the headlights will go off when the ignition switch is turned off the park lights will stay on as far as checking lights without the engine there should not be a problem except for battery drain also to check all the lights the ignition has to be in the run position like the engine is running. the dimmer switch is located with the turn signal as pull type.  I hope this is some help I have been driving my 71 for 16 years and I learn something new every time I work on it.

Joe
'71 super now collecting parts for restoration
Quote 0 0
nak45z
thanks for the reply...

i got the headlights working, but now the turn lights don't work.  i guess i got a short now because i burned out a fuse.  what a mess.  I am bringing someone from mexico to check out my car.  i am giving myself three more days of trying, before i give up.  good thing that all the wiring is new.

mike
Quote 0 0