73superman
I know it's already been discussed previously, but I can't decipher fact from opinion. What are the benefits and drawbacks of Aluminium and Magnesium cases? I'm buying a stock replacement for my super, and I want something new that will last. I also don't want to spend 400 bucks! Thanks for your help.

Will
1973 Superbeetle (California Edition)
Personally-built 1600cc Aluminum DP
Pertronix Ignitor EI and Flamethrower Coil
Taylor Hi-Perf plug wires
Billet oil filler
Urethane suspension bushings
Stainless Braided brake lines
Color-matched brake drums
Quote 0 0
dods1600
Any magnesium block that you buy is going to have a very high level of aluminum in it so the differences are extremely minimal and the only difference would be the slight weight difference. At least that what its like on aircraft transmissions.
1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
Ryan
Big difference in VW cases.  If done right, an Al block is 100% repairable over time.  A mag case really isn't, at least not once it starts to fatigue.  Mag cases will have their line bore pounded over time giving a definate life span.  Al cases should be able to take the beating and not give.
So Al sounds great right?  Wrong, the verdict is still out on CB Performance's new Al case, it's too early to tell.  But all the other Al cases out there have had reports of serious problems. Not everyone is having problems, but the percentage doesn't look very good right now.  It all comes back to cheap manufacturing processes.  --Ryan
Quote 0 0
73superman
So it so why wouldn't the aluminum case be better, if its going to give me a longer life? The mags can't be reconditioned because of deterioration??

Will
Billet oil filler
Quote 0 0
Ryan
It's because of the manufacturing process.  People &(*) and moan about prices so much that manufacturers look for the cheapest outsourced 3rd world way to make things.  So the quality suffers.  People just seem to have serious entitlement issues lately (last decade or so).  They want the best quality but won't pay for it.  I say anti up and quit griping.  For example, there are two or three very high quality Al cases out there, about $1500-$2000 each.  Yet people would still rather spend $400-$500 on something that is grossly inferior.
Again though, CB Performance has a new line of Al cases out.  They haven't been on the market for a full race season yet so it's impossible to tell how they will hold up.  One of the biggest problem with the current Bugpack/IAP/Autolinea cases is they crack very easily.  Many people have reported this problem along with porosity in the material.  --Ryan
Quote 0 0
73superman

That is very useful information Ryan, thank you. I too can't justify spending 2000 on just a case right now, so I guess I'll have to settle for a cheaply made version. I do, after all, drive a volkswagen, the economy car!

Billet oil filler
Quote 0 0
Ryan

There's no reason to not use a Mag case, they have held up in cars putting 400+ hp TO THE WHEELS.  They won't last as long, (an Al should outlast you), but they are proven.  The machinery that makes them is getting old now so even Mag cases should be given a once over, but your odds are much better.  Wait untill the end of this upcoming race season to see how CB's case holds up.  It should fair better than the others as CB held it to some really high standards before they would accept the first production run, but only time will tell.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0