JakeC
First off, I want to say I'm a new Beetle owner and have no experience with Volkswagens.  I've done a search here but came up short on the answer I'm looking for.  Hopefully someone out there has an answer for me.

Vehicle:  73 Super Beetle

Problem component (I think):  Alternator.  The engine has been rebuilt so it could possibly have a Generator instead?  I'm not sure how to tell the difference.  There is a B+ Post and a D post.

Symptoms: Won't really start without a jump.  Intermittently you can start it if there is enough of a charge in the battery but only after cycling the ignition switch several times until one of those times the starter engages and turns over the motor.  Usually you have to jump the battery and then it turns over on the first turn of the ignition switch.  Once running the Red light comes on intermittently and the headlights fade in and out in sync with the red light.  If you open the "hood" while it's running you can see the B+ lead sparking a little in the dark.  With the ignition all the way off the B+ sparks and arcs if you wiggle it around.  The wires are tight against the nut but the bolt is loose.  I took the pulley off to see if I could get to the bottom of the bolt but I could not get the front face of the alternator off to access it.  You can see from the photo that the wire has burnt a bit at some point.

Thanks in advance!

Jake
73' Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
JakeC
Oops..  Here is the photo Click image for larger version - Name: Alternator_Small.JPG, Views: 41, Size: 309.95 KB
73' Super Beetle
Quote 0 0