Mikew68
I am replacing the generator on my 71 SB, with a Alternator. Have ran into a problem with the pulley alinement . The alternator pulley is about a 1/4 in, to far forward, so the belt is on angle ( not good ).  Can anyone recommend a fix for this problem ? As I live in N.Florida in a rural area, I don't need a trashed fan belt....  Thanks........
Quote 0 0
VW1302
Wrong backing plate ?
Quote 0 0
bob
When you change from generator to alternator, you have to change out the mounting bracket, called the stand, the oil fill neck and the fuel pump, when you change the fuel pump, you have to install a longer push rod so it reaches the fuel pump, I recommend you install steel fuel line around the left side of your engine and move the fuel filter to the front of the car underneath the fuel tank, this helps prevent a fire and make a 10 gauge wire that goes from the alternator B+ to the starter where the battery connects, this will eliminate the slight red glow you get from the generator light, once my car caught fire I replace my doghouse, I went with one of those EMPI  chrome doghouses and a chrome face plate where my alternator goes in, I also found out they make wider fans blades so you don't have overheating issues, there is a guy named Eddie who runs the Lakeland, Fl show every year, you should look him up, they have plenty of parts and check out thesamba.com for VW shows in the area. good luck

Bob
Quote 0 0
Mikew68
Thanks for the info... I called Apple tree vw in Michigan. they fixed me up. It was my fault for not ordering the right parts. Will have the right mounting plates soon.....
Quote 0 0
Wayne
That’s great news Mike! At least you know what the problem is and you’re on the way to getting it fixed.
Quote 0 0