talonsgrip
I've not been able to find an alternator brush pack replacement procedure on the forum.

I have a 1973 Super Beetle. I'll have to look up the make and number (I'm at work now), but it looks like it's on the top and that I'd just needt to remove the old brush pack and connect the new one. The voltage regulator is under the back seat.

Can anyone provide a proceedure for it?

Thanks!

Quote 0 0
olspeed
You are right on the part about removal and replacement, just remove the old one and install a new part. But at least the last time I tried to get brushes for an alternator (about 6 years ago) they were not available to the end user, and I had to buy a remanufactured unit.
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
talonsgrip
The only alternator brush pack I've seen is from Parts Geek. I've never heard of the company. Here's the URL for the part:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1973/volkswagen/super_beetle/engine_electrical/alternator_brush_assembly.html
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Motorola should be the maker of your alternator and if this parts is made by them all the better. And it's not a bad price either. I have never bought anything from parts geek so I can't vouch for the company, so if you do buy from them let us know if you are satisfied.
Olspeed
Quote 0 0
talonsgrip
Let's see...

The markings on the pulley side of my 1303's alternator are:

043 903 023
8AL2034K
MB2
VW symbol
Motorola symbol

Quote 0 0
YELLRHD

Something you can try is remove the brush pack and clean the area where they make contact. If you take the belt off you can spin the Alt. while holding some 600-800 grit paper or steel wool against them. I have yet to need to replace brush packs I have killed a few alt bearings before the working part has ever quit.

Quote 0 0
olspeed
Another thing that works is a good pencil eraser  Yea I know it sounds stupid but the brushes are made out of a mostly graphite material and unless you are using a VERY fine grit sandpaper or steel wool you scratch up the commutator and it wears the brushes down faster. While I doubt you will find it in the newer publications this was the recommended procedure to clean up the commutators when replacing the brushes on delco starters and generators in old Detroit Diesel Service manuals.(50's and 60's)
Olspeed
Quote 0 0
YELLRHD
Good point.
I almost forgot about the eraser thing.

Quote 0 0