Looking at a great little Super Beetle. . . heater works.  airflow needs work.  Can anyone tell me how serious this might sound?  How to fix it?  Thanks!

Quote 0 0
NoH2O
First things first, welcome to the site! When you say airflow, what exactly are you referring to? This could mean a couple of things.
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0

Thanks for answering!  This would be my first bug so I'm not certain what I mean by that either!   I haven't bought it yet . . .  the ad just says "airflow needs work."  Any leads/web sites to reference would be much appreciated.  I'd really like to finish restoring this little car, but I've never worked on them before and I'm not sure exactly what I'm getting into.

Quote 0 0
NoH2O
Owning a Beetle is a wonderful thing. it takes patience sometimes but in the end it's always worth it. This air flow problem may be related to the air that is needed to cool the engine. The engine has sheet metal or "tins" as they are known, that surround certain areas of the engine to direct air across it to help maintain it's temperature. There is an oil cooler on the front(front is front)of the engine, you can't see it, it's on the other side of the fan shroud. This little baby has tins around it that collect air and blow it across little fins, like an ordinary radiator on water cooled cars have, and keeps the oil cool. If some of this tin is missing you would not achieve the amount of air needed to maintain a decent temperature. There are also tins on the heads and all the way around the engine itself, separating it from the outside of the car. (underneath) If any of this is missing your likely to have cooling problems. See if the engine lid has vents on it also. Some people modify things for aesthetic purposes and undermine the integrity of the car's well being. Older models don't have vents so if someone were to change the right one for the older model you will have problems. I don't know for certain that it would even fit the Super, but it's worth mentioning. I would suggest contacting the seller and finding out precisely what "air flow problems" the car is having and then check back here. Unfortunately, a lot of the tins must be put on before the engine is installed. This may be something to think about if this turns out to be the type of problem it has.
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
Thanks so much for your help!
Quote 0 0