tenor66
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the group. I'm an American that's been living in Germany for a year. I've been an antique car lover my entire life. I recently finished a complete frame-off restoration of my 1966 Pontiac GTO convertible. So, I'm no stranger to getting my hands dirty.

Anyway, I've always been a fan of Air-Cooled Beetles and was thinking about getting one while I'm here in Germany. I've been reading everything that I can find on the web and I was wondering if any of you experienced Bug owners could offer some advice on what I should, and should not, be looking for.

I know that rust is the worst thing to deal with. But, more specifically, I'm wondering if I should try to find a Super-Beetle or a Classic. I'm wondering about the struts, the dual ports, etc and the opinions out there. My preliminary search shows that there are many Bugs available of all kinds here in Germany... including Mexican Bugs.

So, sorry for the long post, and I hope to hear from you all soon.

Thanks,
Martin---
Quote 0 0
flash

tenor66 wrote:
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the group. I'm an American that's been living in Germany for a year. I've been an antique car lover my entire life. I recently finished a complete frame-off restoration of my 1966 Pontiac GTO convertible. So, I'm no stranger to getting my hands dirty.

Anyway, I've always been a fan of Air-Cooled Beetles and was thinking about getting one while I'm here in Germany. I've been reading everything that I can find on the web and I was wondering if any of you experienced Bug owners could offer some advice on what I should, and should not, be looking for.

I know that rust is the worst thing to deal with. But, more specifically, I'm wondering if I should try to find a Super-Beetle or a Classic. I'm wondering about the struts, the dual ports, etc and the opinions out there. My preliminary search shows that there are many Bugs available of all kinds here in Germany... including Mexican Bugs.

So, sorry for the long post, and I hope to hear from you all soon.

Thanks,
Martin---

Look here for some help:

http://www.vw-resource.com/buying.html
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
tenor66
Thanks Loren, there a lot of great info on their page. The more I read, the more I realize how much support there is out there for all of us Bug Lovers... a big difference from the restoring of my GTO.

It seems that there are many different opinions out there as to which model people prefer. I guess I'm most likely going to go with the best Bug I can find for the best price. I do believe I will try for a 1302s since I like the classic look, but also think I would enjoy the newer suspension and disc brakes.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again,
Martin---

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Gotta love a 1302 as that is my ride.  Don't get hung up over disc brakes.  There are disc brake conversion kits for all Beetles.  Check out CIP1 or any of the parts suppliers.  You will see that you can add front and rear discs to any of them - and believe me, they are worth their weight in gold when compared to the stopping power of the old drums.  And yes, once you work out the shimmies ( that's another story ) the MacPherson strut front suspension on a Super Beetle is pretty nice.
Quote 0 0