jashiggins

I would like to set the idle up on my 78.  Since no carb, I'm not sure of what to adjust.  I've tried tightening up the accelerator cable with the adjusting nut, but no deal.  Where can I find the Idle air adjust screw, if it has one.  It starts just fine and warms up at a high idle, I'm assuming the butterfly valve eventually closes since it will idle down to a mere Bub bub then stall out.  I have the John Muir book, but it doesn't seem to have a good diagram of the FI setup to show me where to adjust.  Any suggestions or pictures on how the adjust the idle on the FI setup would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

Quote 0 0
Wayne

There is a section in the Volkswagen Official Service Manual by Robert Bentley on "Adjusting the idle speed".

Highlights:

Make sure you have adjusted the values and set the timing first.

Never turn the throttle valve adjustment screw.

Warm it up and connect a duel meter to the coil terminal one and ground.

To adjust the idle turn the bypass screw in the throttle valve housing.

Clockwise slows, counter clockwise increases the idle speed.

Set the manual trans to 800-950 and the auto stick to 850-1000 rpm.

If turning the screw doesn't affect the idle greatly, check for air leaks etc.

These are only the highlights, there's a lot more as it covers over a page in the book

Good luck!

Quote 0 0
jashiggins

Thanks for the info.  Is there any way to get a copy of that section online, or a diagram with which screws are which?  Thanks

Jason

Quote 0 0
Wayne

Email me with a fax number and I'll send you a copy.

wayne@superbeetles.com

Quote 0 0
jashiggins

Wayne,

I appreciate to offer. I was able to figure it out today got it running much better.  I am also looking into finding a Bentley manual.  Saw a few on ebay that I'm looking at.  You are a great resource and so is this website.  I'm sure I'll continue to ask questions as I get more into my new hobby.  Thanks again

Jason

Quote 0 0