I have a 78 Convertible with Air Conditioning.  Is there a way to tell if it was factory installed or after market?  Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Quote 0 0
flash

I bought "The Blues" new in 1973 with AC.  The blower is in the trunk and the condenser (I think that is the round bottle like thing that you look for freon air bubbles in) is located under the left front fender.  There's a fan under the front end that pulls air through a radiator type deal.  The AC vents are in the dash.  I have seen after market sets that are gawd-awful lookin' contraptions.

By the way I just had freon added and the air coming out is at 50 degrees.  Which is great when it gets up to 114 degrees here!

Loren 

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0

Thanks for the info.  The ac unit uses the the same vents as the heater so I assume it was factory installed.  Thanks.

Quote 0 0

The AC blows but I know there is no Freon in the system.  Who should I go see to have the system checked out?  We have a small VW shop here but would a bigger car shop specializing in AC's be better?   Thanks.

Quote 0 0
flash

I usually have a local mechanic add freon before each season.  But, in your case I would strongly suggest an AC shop.  They'll find any leaks and replace damaged hoses etc.  I replaced the blower fan under the front end as it was making a racket and it really dropped the temp inside.  It's coming out a 50 degrees which is great in this 110 degree summer heat!

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0

Thank you.  I hope mind works even close to that good! 

Quote 0 0