volky00
A p and c question:

I have a question about a wich brand do you prefer on 94mm p and c between

AA pistons 
Mahle Pistons 
jaycee pistons

I'll Appreciate if you set the difference between those ande set the good/bad points about this matter.
deutchsland uver alles.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
I guess the first thing to consider is are you building a BIG street motor or a all out race motor. Over and above the brand name I would be looking for forged pistons as these WILL take the abuse over cast ones. As for the barrels, Mahle makes very good products and for a street engine I would not shy away from them or their pistons either.(as a side note Mahle Brazil now makes most of Caterpillar's pistons) for racing when you don't need the cooling fins on the barrels LA Sleeve would be my preference as there IS no better. So to answer your questions by line item.
AA pistons... this is a company I haven't heard of. this doesn't mean that they are no good but remember there are only about one or two quality piston foundries still in the US and even they are sourcing to other countries for product. I would check to see if they aren't really Mahle or Wiseco.
Mahle Pistons...As I stated I'd buy these for street any day and I think you would have good luck racing them also.
Jaycee pistons...I have been to their site and I don't think they make their own pistons... great carbs and other products but no pistons. I would check to see if they aren't Wiseco that they have clearanced to their specs.
Olspeed

66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
volky00
I'm thinking about a street engine for my friend. The thing about forged pistons is that i don't really know which ones are really forged 'cause somebody told me that all Mahle p and c are not forged, but they all say that in the box. Anyway, do i need forged P and C for street race?

I heard about AA pistons in CIP1.com, you can take a look at them in this web page.
deutchsland uver alles.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Whoever told you that Mahle pistons were not forged is wrong. As I said Mahle is now THE main piston supplier for Caterpillar's engines. All Cat engines use a forged piston, and by the way once the machine work is done on the piston blank it is not that easy to tell a forged and cast piston apart. Remember Clevite a good name for engine parts...That is now owned by Mahle so they also have their forging tooling also. This makes them pretty much the largest piston manufacturer in the world. While they DO make cast pistons also... If you are buying from a reputable dealer and the box says they are forged then I would bet a dollar to a donut that they ARE forged.
Olspeed
Quote 0 0
Ryan
I'm not gonna say one way or the other, there is compelling evidence for both sides of this argument.  But just because they make forged pistons for one supplier,,, how does that justify the statement that they can't ALSO make cast pistons???  They actually do make both cast and forged.
The pistons they call forged are NOT as good as say some JE's, Veniola's, etc.  But I would say they are as good as AA's, they just aren't slipper skirts like AA.
For a NA engine that stays under 7k rpm, Mahle pistons are fine.  Ad a turbo, nitrous, or a higher shift point and I'd start thinking about something nicer.  Even then, don't forget that everything breaks.  --Ryan
Quote 0 0
volky00

Thank's a lot Ryan, you have been very helpfull, any other advise is apreciated. I'm still interested on building a 1,914cc engine.

deutchsland uver alles.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Ryan in my post I even said that Mahle does make cast pistons... the point I was trying to make is that they are one of the largest makers of forged pistons, for any engine. Now If you want to build an all out race car then specialty companies like JE's, Veniola's and even Wiseco would be the way to go, but remember thay are small companies so you WILL pay for it. Even Mahle will produce and machine something special for the right price. Even for racing cylinder sleeves there are others besides LA sleeve but for a production product, just like Mahle you would be hard pressed to find better. I would guess that most people are on a budget, and for a street engine even a strong street engine I wouldn't shy away from Mahle products... besides as you say everything breaks.
Olspeed 
Quote 0 0