tazaRock
So I just realized my engine is not stock for my 74 super. The engine # is EA 145327 which must be from 71-72 according to lists I've seen. Does that sound right? Musta been swapped.

I'm also wondering if this is an alternator or a generator.

Quote 0 0
Ryan

It's an Alternator.  Got a pick from the top down?  Case numbers mean nothing if you don't know the complete history.  Many cases have been part of rebuild non-original engines over time.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
tazaRock
Quote:
Got a pick from the top down?

Like this?

I'm the worst VW enthusiast. I couldn't afford this car so I can't afford tools either. Fortunately the car runs good other than it seems to choke a bunch till it warms up.

My birthday is coming up and I'm going to ask for tools.

Thanks for your help.
Quote 0 0
Ryan
Aircleaner is still covering what I want to see.  I see the threaded post, but behind it is there one single spade type connector?  If so then it's a new/er Alt with internal regulator.  If there's a connector with three spade terminals, then it's an older one with an external regulator under the rear seat.  --Ryan
Quote 0 0
tazaRock
Oh, right, I gotcha.

There is 2 wires coming off the front post/screw and one from the back.
Quote 0 0
Ryan

Newer style Alt. with internal regulator.  I was pretty sure that's what it was but wanted to see it to be positive.  Keep in mind that even though the regulator is internal it's still replaceable should the need ever arise.  Much cheaper than a complete unit.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0