Hi im new to the beetle and am in the process of finding one of my own and was wondering if i could build a SB that could run the 8th mile in 9 seconds with a N/A built up motor with no more than 3000 in the motor. or somewhere close. THX

Quote 0 0
Ryan

That's a tight budget for a car that weighs as much as a Super (more weight = slower time = more power needed), but it's do-able.  The trade off will be how dependable the engine needs to be and how good you are at finding deals on used parts.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0

ok well im kinda just finding a relative motor cost and i could prolly go with 4000 or mabey 4500 if im luckey enough to have it run untill i get it that fast. all the cars i have had have had comps and me and tech nology arent very good friends.  

Quote 0 0
Ryan

$4500 would make it much, much easier to to build a good engine.  A smaller budget can do it, but like I said you risk sacrificing reliability for street use making it pretty much a race only engine.  But then again, there are always killer deals to be had on second hand stuff that would do the job nicely.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0

then again a turbo would be a good boost in power but would you still build a low compression engine to run on boost like you would on a new import for ease of tuning

Quote 0 0
Ryan

It would be tough to build a good reliable turbo'd engine with that budget if you're starting from scratch.  It can be done, but it'll require you to do quite a bit of the fab work yourself.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0

i was thinking of going with a long block and build it from there but i was wondering what the Bore to stroke was for like a 7.5:1 compression ratio so i have an idea what style long block to get.

Quote 0 0
Ryan

Bore are stroke have nothing to do with setting up compression.  They're part of the equation for figuring compression, but you choose bore and stroke independantly of choosing compression.  Ideally you want to aim for around .050" deck height and adjust your head chamber volume to get the compression you're looking for.  With a turbo'd engine, a tight deck isn't as important so you have more to play with.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0