Tobra

Car I had for 20 years, mom bought it new and could not let it go when I got my Porsche to replace it, so she bought it back from me at a significant discount.  Took it in to get smogged and serviced, stolen from shop last week.  Keep your eyes open, silver, blue top, mint top to bottom, topline suspension, disc brakes.

How much was it worth?  I am saying around $10K in the shape it was in, any thoughts?  Looked on the Samba and similar cars were $8 to $12.  Car is no doubt chopped up by now, shame really.  I ask because I am sure insurance will try to low ball.  Dad being a venerable local attorney will work against the insurance company

Here is story on car, pre theft
I Am Finally Going To Do It - SBO! Community

Okay, NADA book is $11,300 to like $18,500 on a '79 vert
'79 Super Beetle Convertible, Topline Sport+ springs and disc brake conversion. SS brake lines, KYB GR-2struts and Gas-a-just shocks
Quote 0 0
Tobra

Looks like this

Click image for larger version - Name: Bug.jpg, Views: 32, Size: 144.16 KB
'79 Super Beetle Convertible, Topline Sport+ springs and disc brake conversion. SS brake lines, KYB GR-2struts and Gas-a-just shocks
Quote 0 0
Tobra

Car turned up, almost exactly a month later.  Just parked on the street, apparently intact and un damaged, in the shop being gone through.  The keys that the smog shop had did not fit the ignition, so it would appear that someone in the shop switched the keys for some other VW keys, and had a convertible to drive for a few weeks.  I was stunned the car turned up and was not stripped.

Quote 0 0
VSB74

Very nice looking bug! Glad to hear your mom got it back all in 1 piece.

Rog
Quote 0 0
Tobra

Was apparently some damage to car, broken tail light(reproduction available, not Hella), damaged bumper, damaged end caps on bumper(unobtanium, think I may have spares in garage)  Stole tool kit(unobtainium) jack, boot for convertible top(unobtanium), dinged fender.  Shop is essentially off the hook completely, despite the fact that they keys were taken from there shop to steal the car, this is a fact.   They will have to pay for the repairs and replacements.

Did some looking, reproductions available for all.  Insurance allowed, $150 for $170 boot, $50 for $90 tool kit and jack, $6 for $30 end caps for bumper, looks like some phone calls in order.

Quote 0 0