Hi. I've read most of the topics, and have learned a lot. So here's my problem. I bought a 1979 convertible Superbeetle (39k miles) from E-Bay. I paid $10,000, and it ran, but had some problems. The back window seal leaked whenever it rained. That caused water to get into the Double Relay and Control Unit (right under the window). I relaped the computer, and cleaned the double relay, to get it running again. However, I only have half of the horse power that I had before. I Followed the shop manual, and founf the Air Flow Meter to be faulty. So I bought a refurbished one. I still have the same problem.

When I put the car in first gear, I have good power/pick up. When I shift to second, there's a lull, then an occasional backfire. What could be the cause? A few months ago, the muffler/catalytic converter caught on fire. I had the muffler replaced. And ever sense, I've had the HP problem. What, what should I do?
Quote 0 0
71SuperBee
First,  I am guessing you live somewhere that you can't just have a muffler because the sniffer. This sucks. And to be honest with you if you paid 10g you got ripped. You could have baught one with a new engine and all ready to go other than some restroation for under 3k.. Anyway the horsepower deal could be the valves need to be adjusted, maybe the head needs torqued down"u never know" any way I would also check the timing just incase the timing got knocked off a little during muffler/cat installation.. Also take that fuel injection off it and put a carb, and get rid of that puter. They dont' work very good when they are going down hill. If someone ran that thing out of gas then that would cause tons of problems. Atleast it does on the newer cars. Get rid of FI and see what that does. It can only help..

I would get a 34 3 bocar or a solex 30 31 ,34 if you have a vaccum advance dizzy and a 30 31 if not.. Thanks, I hope this helps..

Aaron

71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
Cobey
Dual carbs....  LOL.

Really, the motor should be checked over and a full tune up done before getting into anything heavier.  Especially check the fuel filter, valves, timing, exhaust system, and cylinder compression.  Doing a leak down test wouldn't be a bad idea either since you're really starting with an unknown.
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/ghia](0)(=|=)(0)[/url] 68 Ghia Vert - Gina
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/edel/](O\U|U/O)[/url] 72 SB Vert Autostick - Edel
Quote 0 0
71SuperBee
Did he say he had dual carbs? I didn't see that one. lol..

Aaron

71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
Yeah, not the wises purchase, but I've learned alot. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot, and keep you posted...
Quote 0 0