SuperJake
I noticed that the rear tires on my beetle have become very loose and when I lift the back tires it seems only the pin stops the tires from coming off.

The  rear splines look like they are worn out, I replaced them and drove it again for a little bit but noticed it's coming loose once again.
Does this mean I should replace the bearings or what else would make it do something like this?

Thanks for any help.
Jake.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
When you say tires you mean wheels, right?  One thing to watch for with the rear wheels of the old Beetles is that big castleated nut holding the drum and entire wheel onto the axel stubs.  When the average mechanic sees the castleated nuts with the cotter pin through them they think of the front wheel bearings on the average old cars.  These are tightened to maybe 15 ft.lbs or less - just enough to take the out-in movement out of the bearing.  Those big castleated nuts on the rear wheels of the Beetles need to me mega - torqued to 250 ft.lbs cranked down with an impact or uber-torqued with a 36 " Johnson bar.  Try an application of the right amount of torque on these before you lose one and / or strip out the splines - something which may already have happened.  If that is the case you are in need of new rear drums.
Quote 0 0
SuperJake
This sounds about right, it was very loose the first time and the rear drums where stripped. On the next pair I got from a guy I was working with at the time we made sure we had them torqued down very well yet it's becoming loose once again.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
By coming loose you mean that the big nuts are actually backing off or the drums feel loose?  If the splines are that done-in I think your next move is new drums.  If the axel stub splines are also compromised you are into a new set of them too and since you are now tearing apart the whole works you may as well do the bearings and be done with it.
Quote 0 0
boyumachinery

We,Yuhuan Boyu Machinery Co., Ltd which are professional manufacturer of steering gearbox and brake caliper for VW Bettle.pls feel free to tell us if you need.we are sure that we can give you best price for you.pls send email to boyu52@yahoo.com.cn

we are professional manufacturer of steering gear box and brake caliper for car,truck and tractor.
Quote 0 0