Need Suggestions. Towing my wife's stored 74 Super Beetle from VA to TX on Ft. Wheel carrier. Been sitting up for 10 years. What should I change before trip: Tires, Oil, Check bearings, Battery for flashers? Any ideas?

Quote 0 0
NoH2O

The tires would be my main concern. If your using a 2 wheel dolly, it should have lights on it. Alright I take that back, mine doesn't but I have magnetic lights I use on top of the car. Maybe check the CV joints as well. Oil isn't really of any concern unless you plan to have it running for any amount of time. If that's the case then your gas will be in worse shape than your oil after 10 years.

Just take your time and you should be fine. Good Luck!

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
ljohn

I towed my 73 Super we did it with a two wheel dolly but put the rear tires on the dolly and besure your wheels are stright and the steering wheel locked, we had no problems and it towed really easy.............Hope you have a smooth ride as I did

LJohn
Quote 0 0
staticattic

I towed mine all the way from NC to FL, but I got a car carrier so all of my wheels were off the ground. I had planned on using the car dolly like you are planning, but was worried about the condition of the car since I had just bought it. It had problems that could be expected from a 34 year old car that had been driven like it was a race car for god knows how long. Back to the point, I was told I could put it in neutral and it "should" tow just fine. Given the distance, I went with the car carrier instead. I am a little more paranoid than I probably should be, but I wouldn't feel comfortable towing my car with the back wheels up and the front wheels down either.

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
nathnn99

When I bought my 74 Super, I towed it on a dolley from Las Vegas to where I live (About 600 Miles away).  It towed just fine and I haven't had any trouble from the transmission in the six months hence.  Like previously mentioned, just put it in neutral, parking brake off, and go.

So Long and thanks for all the fish!
Quote 0 0
ljohn

Initially we did load front wheels on the dolly but it looked as if there might have been a chance that the tail pipes would scraped on the road again good old VT frost heaves .....But makes sense since the weight is in the back that would place it on the wheels of the dolly and the dolly we had, had really a good securing harness system.....But all and all cannot beat a full car carrier probably a wise choice  

LJohn
Quote 0 0