MasterofDisaster
i am looking for a parts car to continue on with my restoration - from what year super's can i use the major parts?
will hardtop parts [windshield, windows, etc.] work?
i am located in eastern pa.
thanx!
Quote 0 0
blur

MasterofDisaster wrote:
i am looking for a parts car to continue on with my restoration - from what year super's can i use the major parts?
will hardtop parts [windshield, windows, etc.] work?
i am located in eastern pa.

The windshield would be the same as any curved windshield for a convertible, 1973-79.  The shape of the hardtop Super Beetle (1973-75) windshield is the same, but I have been told the glass for the convertible is thicker.   I don't know of any suppliers for new curved windshields.

The other windows for a 1973 convertible should be interchangeable with all 1973-79 convertibles.  The back windows crank up and down so they are completely different from the hardtop.  The door windows may share the same glass as hardtops and/or earlier year convertibles but I do not know.

There was a suspension change mid-model year for 1973.  Some were two-bolts; some were three bolts.  Pre-change suspension was good for 1971-73½; post-change was good for 1973½-79.  Hardtops and softtops had the same strut set-up for the corresponding years.  I was not implying it was an exact half-model year when I said "1973½."  I'm not sure the chassis number or month of production when the switch was made.

The steering wheel hub had a mid-1974 change, so you can swap with 1972-74½.  1971 models also had the same size but the wipers were not controlled by a stalk -- there was a switch on the dash instead -- so that steering wheel may not be an exact swap.

Bumpers for 1973 interchanged with 1968-73 Beetles and Super Beetles for convertibles and hardtops.

Rack-and-pinion steering started in 1975 for Super Beetles so that won't help you.  Fuel injection started that year also.

Most other parts will swap from a 1973-79 convertible and since all convertibles were Supers for those years, they also shared parts with their hardtop cousins -- for the most part.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Your door windows are unique - no sharing them with the hardtop.  The rear windows are a real treat to find if you don't have one.  With them there was a change in 1974 with the whole unit remaining the same size but with a narrower metal frame and larger glass which carried on until the final verts in 1980.  You still can do well with a ' 71-'73  hard top donor car.
Quote 0 0