CENA

Hello, I have 73' Super Beetle.  1600cc stock engine 009 distributor, 34 pict 3 carb.  The problem is that after the car is warmed up it runs fine at high speed.  But at low speed it jerks and studders and sometimes dies.  It idles fine.  The carb has been rebuilt, but did not cure the problem.  Now they are changing the points and condenser.  Fuel filter is clean.  Would the condenser or points do this?

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Swap out the points and condensor as an experiment.  It could be a cheap fix.  I think that your problem could still be carb related.  It depends on the quality of the carb rebuild and the overall age of the carb.  As long as your compression is good, the spark plugs and plug wires are good you can guess that the issue is still fuel supply.  Carburetors eventually get worn in the area of the throttle plate shaft.  Air leakage here makes it impossible to perform the carburetor settings with any accuracy.  In the venturi of the carb you will find a series of very fine double holes.  If any of these are plugged the gas being supplied will not mix correctly with the air coming down the venturi.  The mixture will not be consistent and the engine will run rough.  Sometimes the only answer is the total replacement of the carb.

Quote 0 0
CENA

Well, got it back today and it runs great so far.  Hoefully stays that way!  Thanks for the info!

Quote 0 0
CENA

Well, here we go again.  Runs better but now dies when I stop.  Took it back in.  They replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the carb.  Runs fine again.  They think it is either the gas tank or the carb is so old it is flaking on the inside.  I think it is the gas tank.  They said the filter had fine coffee ground looking material in it.  Can I clean the tank?

Quote 0 0