73BugBite
hi i have a 73 super beetle that drives up hills sluggishly, theres a newly rebuilt carb on the motor, not sure how to "fine tune" it. any info on how to fine tune or adjust would be appreciated thank you
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Even if everything stock on your bug is working just right you may find that hills are a challenge to your Beetle.  Remember, you are driving a 48 horsepower car (if it is all stock) and that can lead to a pretty slow ascent.  One thing you do not want to do is to let the car "lug" at a low RPM in a gear which is too high for the hill.  This is absolute murder on Beetle engines.  Drop down a speed and another speed if necessary but keep the RPM up.  A good skill to practise is to work up a head of steam when hills are pending and take a run at 'er!  You may still find yourself making a slow climb but you will be making a statement while you do it.  The statement goes something like  "Yeah, I may be taking this hill a little slower than you might like but at least I'm ahead of you and you must admit my ride has a little more quelque chose, je ne sais quoi than that look-alike jelly bean you're piloting, so bite me!"  (P.S. quelque chose, je ne sais quoi = something, I don't know what) literal translation that is.
Quote 0 0
flash

73BugBite wrote:
hi i have a 73 super beetle that drives up hills sluggishly, theres a newly rebuilt carb on the motor, not sure how to "fine tune" it. any info on how to fine tune or adjust would be appreciated thank you

First, you have to have to have your enging running in A-1 top condition and yes you will do some down shifting into the lower gears.  I have never had a problem climbing hills.  Just remember you're not in a sports car.
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
olspeed
It ain't no 300HP muscle car either.Getting that run at them is especially important for a stocker. But check you timing at least to make sure it's right, if it's not the engine will overheat badly even if you shift down. And like MY72BUG said don't lug the engine or you will be looking at a new motor in no time at all. I like that statement also, but up here we call them little jap s#!& boxs. Not quite as poetic though.
Olspeed

66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
staticattic

The only time I have ever had problems going up hills with my Bug, either with the 1600 or 1776, was when something was wrong. Just recently, the number 1 cylinder intake rocker arm had broken, so I was only running on three cylinders. How does it run when driving on level ground? Any changes? Accelerating more slowly? Change in the engine sound?

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0