mbreathwick
I am no expert but i have tried everything that i can think of to get her going. Problem started with a massive power loss, as in it would stall when pulling away in first gear also the engine would not rev very high. Now she won't start at all. i have checked all the ignition i can think of. There is a spark at the ht leads, and the points gap is correct. i have removed the carburetter and cleaned it out and there is definitely petrol coming through it. So if there is petrol in the carb and a spark at the plug why won't it  start??  the engine is a leaded petrol engine i have been running it on unleaded, could this be the cause of the problem?? Is it possible that petrol from the carbs isn't reaching the cylinder heads??

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Quote 0 0
bnam
What about checking your valves?  Although it seems unlikely (to me at least) that valves on cylinders would be off (incorrect gap or stuck) at the same time.

Timing?  Is it possible your dizzy is a bit loose and turned so that the timing is off completely now?  Do a static timing check...

B

Quote 0 0
mbreathwick
thanks for the reply.

I checked the valves and they all were adjusted correctly. with the timing i am certain its in the right area maybe not perfect. how can i make sure the timing is exact?

Quote 0 0
Karl53

also you should see about checking the compression in the cylinders, if it's too low than that most likely means that you engine is finished.

(o\ | /o) 2 1972 Superbeetle
1971 Superbeelte
1970 Standard beetle
1974 Westfalia
Quote 0 0
mbreathwick
thanks for your replies turns out i think it was contaminated fuel which. some how water got into the tank. at least my engine has had a decent service now shes running and sounding beautiful.

cheers guys
Quote 0 0