Here is a puzzle for you. I decided to take everyone out in Stinky(my '71 SB) yesterday, and on the way home in moderately heavy traffic I pull up to a stop light, apply the brakes and the pedal goes to the floor! No brakes. I grabbed the Ebrake and stopped it....and had to drive it all the way back home using VERY slow acceleration and the Ebrake. When I got home, I looked for brake fluid dripping...nothing anywhere. So today in the light, I checked brake lines and resevoir...all ok. Then I looked at the pedal assy. (see diagram). Item #3, the master cylinder push rod, was off the pedal connector rod(13) and bent to about 30 degrees! Now this push rod is made of half inch steel, and looked as if it was formed/cast at that angle. Try as I could, of course, it would not slip it onto the pedal rod AND go into the master cylinder hole. The only thing I could think to do was to try and straighten it. So I get out my BIGGEST hammer, put it on cement and commenced beating hell out of it. It took one hell of a lot of beating to make it straight-ish(me thinking all the time, "you dumbass this is a cast part and for some reason, is cast at this angle and is going to snap on the next whack"). Well, I put the rod into the cylinder hole and it slipped like a charm over the pedal assy. Started it up and took it for a drive. The brakes work fine, the pedal returns fine (even though that spring - item #11, is not connected and just spins around the rod.
My question, is how in HELL did that beefy-assed hunk of metal get bent in the first place? No way in hell that foot pressure could bend it. It took 50 damned smacks from a sledge to beat it straight! Solve this one for me...I can't find anything on the net...forums...nothing.
Quote 0 0
Marc

You're overlooking the leverage gained by the pedal - the pressure exerted on that pushrod is considerably more than applied by your foot and it's definitely enough to bend it if it isn't dead-straight to begin with (or if there's a misalignment between the pedal and M/C). The real question here is how did it get bent a little in the first place - perhaps someone once did it intentionally in an effort to compensate for a pedal alignment problem?

I'd check for any undue slop in the pedal, making sure that it's a straight shot from the post to the M/C (and check the post for wear that would allow the pushrod to wobble off-center) ....and get another pushrod - it's too important to trust one that's been tweaked and rebent.

Quote 0 0
Thanks for the reply. I think you may be right there. It isn't the tightest assy. as it is now, and is a bit worrisome. I have seen whole new pedal assemblies for sale on the net. Perhaps it might be worth the investment to install one. Thanks again.
Quote 0 0