pa_trick
The new 71 Super which is white now has some interesting colors in its history.

Paint color under the undercoating under the fenders is red.
Paint color on exterior is a wasted white
Paint color in trunk, engine compartment, doors is Pink???? (Did Mary Kay do super bugs in the '70?)

Once you quit laughing, I got the car for $350 with seized engine. I am pretty sure that white is not the original color, and I do not think that pink was ever a stock color, so how would I figure out what the original color was?

Patrick
------------(0\ /0)-------------
74 Super Sun Bug (the partner's)
71 Super Cal Looker (mine)
the "Shade tree mech" for both...
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
get a birth certificate from wolfsburfg. 35 euros plus the taxes and shipping for the museumto look up your vin and give you a ton of info.
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
pa_trick
That sounds like a great idea. Where do you go to get one. is there a website to get your Birth certificate?
Patrick
Quote 0 0
flash
Here is a website that has you 71 Super Sales brochure.  Not much on exterior cover, but interesting.

http://www.1302super.com/page16.html
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
Wayne

I'm guessing that there is no paint code sticker under the front hood...

Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398

VW birth certificate.

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
pa_trick
Will the Birth certificate also confirm that it is a Super? I notice that in 71 and 72 the vin range is the same for the standard and the super. How do you tell on the car? Not by windshield in that year.....
Patrick
Quote 0 0
VSB74

Your right, 71 and 72 Supers had the flat windsheild, 73 and up Supers had the curved one. The easiest way to tell is look behind the front tires for the struts. Also look to see if the spare tire lays flat in the trunk. Hope this helps.

Rog
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
don't 71-72 supers still have struts?  That's a super easy tell, no pun intended. Nonsupers have torsion beam front ends.

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
pa_trick
Ok, the spare sits flat in the nose and it does look like struts on the front. So I guess that does mean it is a super then.
Patrick
Quote 0 0
flash

pa_trick wrote:
Ok, the spare sits flat in the nose and it does look like struts on the front. So I guess that does mean it is a super then.

yep...It's a Super.  You can turn in a 3' smaller circle than a standard Bug.  The ride is smoother too.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0