twocams
Im looking at a 71 Super from a VW shop I have used for the past several yrs. But for parts only for (2) 84 Rabbits I had. The 71 has sat in front of his shop for about a yr. now on consignment. They had just tuned it up and then the gentleman pass away.
I had a square back in about 1970, but wife found a snow bank in the Sierra Nevada Mt. But I have 2 BMW airhead motorcycles that I have been riding for 20 yrs now.
I know the 71 needs a floor pan replaced on pass side from battery to middle of the pass door area. Needs rubber replaced on rear window & side windows. Front windshield has new rubber done. Car shows 59,000 miles seats all need new padding. But all in good shape other wise. The color is a bronze? With most of the clear coat coming off. Yes it will be a project car but runs and drives. His wife is selling to me for $2500 which seemed to be a far price/ well that was my offer and she took. She wanted $3200. Any input from the bug guys that know more than me about them.
Thanks
Quote 0 0
Wayne
If you had a Squareback than you’re already a member of the air cooled Volkswagen family. To me that sounds like a fair deal and changing one pan isn’t too big of a job to tackle. There are instructions on how to do this in the Tech Talk with Rick section. At 59k the engine and transmission should be in good shape if they’ve been taken care of. I’d get as much information as possible from the person that sold it to you. Service history? Original owner? Do a good fluid change and see what you are looking at mechanically. Then you have to decide how far you will go with your restoration. Mint? Daily driver? Original patina? Then go for it! Good luck!
Quote 1 0
twocams
Thanks Wayne, Just a daily driver for now. Im working on my 87 Alfa Romeo, daily driver but almost done. Summer time car. Been looking for a bug. I remember in Fort Worth, Tex in 1973 Super beetles were $1995 on sale. But I bought a Mazda RX3 instead $3500. But always liked bugs. Im going to get another good look tomorrow at it before I had over my cash.
Quote 0 0
Wayne
The good thing about Supers is that there is a ton of parts available and being the newest they have all the best features of the Beetle. 
Quote 0 0
twocams
I bought the 71 Super B. I was checking the glove box when I got home. Found a work order form with some good information on. The engine was rebuilt in 2016, lic. tags ran out in 2018. So been sitting for 2 yrs. Also front & rear shoes were replaced with wheel cylinders/hoses. A new alternator, stand & chrome pulley were installed. So all this stuff he had done is what I paid for the car.
Quote 0 0
Wayne
That is great news! Have you done an oil change and fired it up yet?
Quote 0 0
twocams
Yes I drove it home about 3 miles on xpired tags. Changed oil yesterday. But have a striped out stud. put some 2 part epoxy on stud and put her back in. Check it out now, left oil out over nite. See what happens.
Quote 0 0
Wayne
They make a step stud to repair that if the epoxy doesn’t work  
Quote 0 0