blueavenger
Guy I bought my trike from put a new M/C on it last fall. this spring it was dry and I re-bleed the brakes. 24 hours later the res was empty. looked like it was leaking around the piston. I replaces the M/C with a NAPA unit and it looks like it is also leaking out the back past the piston. Are the $40- units that substandard to the $80- ones?
shut up voices or I will poke you with a Q tip again!
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Years ago NAPA had quality parts, but most of the stuff that I have bought from them lately has left me wanting... oh of course they give you a choice of the cheap,cheap then the little better and then the super duty (meaning everything you have in the bank and more) but quality wise I for one have not seen that much difference, just price. Any more I try to stay away from NAPA for my ACVW parts and even the parts that I have bought for my (other) vehicles I try to shop from Carquest or O'Riley. "Example" A water pump that I bought my plow rig a 94 Chevy 4x4 with a 350, O'Riley and Carquest were out and NAPA had one for $15.00 more. I needed the truck so I bought one... it lasted 100 days(90 day warranty) Now the truck has one from O'Riley and is going on 3 years.
For you brake MC I would try CIP1 or Mid-America or Airhead parts I think that you will like the quality better even if it's a mail-order thing.
olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
ChrisW
When I bought my Super the previous owner said he replaced the master cylinder, and it looked new. The first thing I did to the Beetle was replace all the lines and wheel cylinders, the new master lasted about six blocks. I had made three stops on the test run after the brake overhaul when I experienced catastrophic brake failure. Foot went all the way to the floor and the car did not slow down a bit. When I went to order a new master I made sure it was German. Four years later it is still working. I checked a few sites and the only ones with German masters I can find are CIP1 and Airhead Parts. They are pricey but the one place you don't wast to scrimp is on the brakes.

Chris
FAST is good CONTROL is better
Quote 0 0