Okay, I just put it a new motor and tranny, the clutch wont disengage when its running (it does when the motor is off). We took the motor out again to see for any visible probs. There was nothing wrong, but it still wont go into gear when the motor is running. Could someone please help me? fred_sub@yahoo.com

Quote 0 0
beetlemusic

hello the easiest thing to check is going to be the clutch pre travel. with the engine not running the tran. wil go in and out of gear with out pushing the clutch. the way I set mine is to give about 1 to 2 inches of pedal travel with no tension if this doesnt help ther may be a problem with trowout or fork. the pre travel adjustment is at the trans. wingnut on cable. while you are setting you can check fork. the throwout can be checked with motor out.

'71 super now collecting parts for restoration
Quote 0 0
hello
thx for the response, i drove around in first gear ( i started it in gear ) i couldnt put in 2nd
Quote 0 0
i have also adjusted the wing nut several times. someone help me
Quote 0 0
Marc
Doesn't matter how many times you adjust it if you aren't doing it right (once should be enough).
Do you have the correct release bearing and clutch cover installed for your transmission? The early (thru `70) and late (`71-up) parts are incompatible.
There should be around an inch or so of "freeplay" at the pedal, where the only resistance felt is coming from the return spring on the cross-shaft at the transmission, before the release bearing contacts the cover and starts to push against it to make the clutch release.
If the cable is bad (frayed down to a few strands and stretching) or there's something odd like the lever being loose on the cross-shaft you might not get enough release bearing movement to make the clutch disengage. A flywheel that's improperly machined or a clutch disk that's too thick could cause a similar problem, as could a disk that's sticking on the input shaft splines rather than sliding freely (possibly because it was bent during engine installation)  or a really bad pilot bearing in the gland nut that's transmitting torque even when the clutch is released.

liquidpaisley wrote:
i have also adjusted the wing nut several times. someone help me

Quote 0 0