beetlemusic
 I haven't posted anything in a while, I have to many things going on. I have a question about car value. Of course I know these cars can vary in price according to what part of the country you live. So here is my question. How much is to much for a 58 convertible this car is in disassembled condition all parts are present and some replacement parts already purchased (pans, and I believe a new top ) I have not made that trip for the first hand look. I don't have an exact asking price but I do know it is less than 2000 as is. I ahve no idea about a car this old this is why I have put this question out there. I know this is not alot to work from. but I know you guys here will pull through with some good advice. thanks in advance for any help.

Joe
'71 super now collecting parts for restoration
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
If everything is there, it's probably in the ballpark of what your saying. I'd offer $1000 and see what happens. An early vert can bring some good money when finished. I know that's probably not your first concern but the return is worth the initial investment if you want to look at it like that.
Check to see if it has the correct vert decklid. That's worth a pretty penny on it's own. Sounds like a good find. Good luck!

Steve
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
beetlemusic
    What are some of the unique parts for this model that I need to look for just to make sure this is not just a 58 vert body with alot of mismatched patch  up parts I am pretty sure the engine is not original but the deck lid I have no idea what does the deck lid look like and maybe some other unique part descriptions would be helpful. just the idea of a convertable has piqued my wifes interest so I want to make sure I am getting what I am paying for.
    Thanks for the help already
              Joe
'71 super now collecting parts for restoration
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
I don't know of anything right off hand as far as special parts. The best way to be sure your getting a correct vert is to check the pan. There will be support rails running front to back basicallt where the heater channels are. They look like really thick channels actually. The VIN will tell you as well. Most likely it's on a correct vert pan.
The decklid has 2 sets of vents on it as opposed to having none, as the early ones did not possess them. I grabbed a picture from the Samba for reference. (Thanks to whoever owns this picture) This particular one is going for $800. Not something you want to have to track down later, if you've already spent a lot on the car itself. Sounds like a good find though if it's solid. Make sure those support rails are solid. That's the integrity of the entire vert frame.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out,

Photo

Steve
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0