wadope
 I'm just getting started with my project. I've owned my 73 for16 years but it has been parked for the last ten.

I'm going to do a pan off and hopefully end up withe something that will handle and perform.

Anybody else out there doing the same type of project????
WD40???

73 Super Beetle project
Quote 0 0
ljohn
Yup I have a 73 super I thought it was not in to bad of shape but found metal plates hiding lots of rust hole so I decided to sell and find a better project however nobody is buying at any price I was going to part but have had no interest at this point I do not want to sell one or two parts off of it and be stuck with rest so I may just continue on with the rebuild and it will be extensive 

So how much body work are you looking at..?
LJohn
Quote 0 0
wadope
The pan is good...a rust hole in the left front wheel house and a set of fenders.

I'm still tearing down, so there may be a few more spots.
WD40???

73 Super Beetle project
Quote 0 0
ljohn
It would be eaiser for me to list what will be original if I rebuild it....OK I'll trade

Both pans
part of fire wall
lower half of rear cargo shelf
both rear wheel wells (lower half)
both quarter panels between door and rear tire bottom 10 in
left side lower front wheel well
both sides rear bumper support sheet metal 
both sides front bumper sheet metal................etc..

The body is in really good shape but underneath ..AAaa sucks...
LJohn
Quote 0 0
wadope
Like I said I am just getting started. You never know when you start taking things a part
WD40???

73 Super Beetle project
Quote 0 0
ljohn

WD40...Guess Im missing this one...

LJohn
Quote 0 0
wadope

I'm sure I'll find more rust and who knows what, once I get it down to snad blasting state.

WD40???

73 Super Beetle project
Quote 0 0
ljohn
What type of blast media are you going to use, be careful on the sheet metal
too course will create more work, saw where they used a baking soda compound do not know where its available and a walnut media. I used kind of a course worked ok but pitted the metal pretty good I only did it on a small test site then stopped then picked up a bag of fine which was better but still not the results I was looking for....LJohn
LJohn
Quote 0 0
wadope

thanks for the info on Blast Media. I'm about a week away from blasting it (maybe more)....anybody else have any suggestions.

WD40???

73 Super Beetle project
Quote 0 0
ljohn

I had talked to a body man and he suggested to use Aircraft paint remover it being a liquid, He stated that continues blasting will wrap the thin sheet metal on the body...But on the heavy rust blast away...

LJohn
Quote 0 0