STDog

Just bought what was sold as a '72 Super Beetle. Started looking and think it may be a '71 that has been registered wrong.

VIN is 111310xxxx which implies a '71 based on everything I've found.

So now I question all the info given.

Can anyone point me to info/pics to help me be more certain?

Also, should it need multiple keys? The engine cover uses a different key than the doors/ignition. It may well have the part changed leading to the different key.
I just don't know. If it should be one key, I'd like to rekey it so all match.

Interestingly the 2 keys I have appear to be OE. They have a VW logo and what looks like a key code stamped on them. I also have 3rd party ILCO copies.

Quote 0 0
VW1302
Here are some specs for the ´72 super.
Yes, vin must be 112XXXXXXXX
It has the diagnostic plug in the engine bay
It has the black plastic steering wheel like the ´73 and later
The room behind the back seat has a cover plate 
Quote 0 0
VW1302
About the engine deck lid:
Like on many other beetles, the deck lid was probably replaced, therefore the different keys.
Quote 0 0
STDog
VW1302 wrote:
About the engine deck lid:
Like on many other beetles, the deck lid was probably replaced, therefore the different keys.

So it's supposed to be keyed the same?
That was my question. What sbout glove box?

Lots of vehiles from that period use different keys by design. My Cadillac for example uses one key for ignition and doors eith a second key for trunk and glove box.

Thanks for the other info. I'll check those things closer today.
So the VIN is a '71. Pretty sure the wheel is white and no cover behind seat (though it could be missing).
Quote 0 0
VW1302
If the lockable engine lid and glove box where ordered at the factory,  its the same key for all.
Here in europe that was extra features you had to pay for. I dont know about the us-version.
Quote 0 0