flash
If the Lords willin' and the creek don't rise I may have enough extracurricular funds come in to have my 300,000 mile 1660 engine upgraded to a 1776.
Question...will I notice a significant increase in it's "get-up and go? And will it still be OK on the highway at 75+ MPH? 

Loren
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
Marc
I seriously doubt that there are any parts in a motor with that many miles on it which would be suitable for reuse, especially for a high-performance engine.
If all you do is increase the displacement by 12%, expect to get about a 12% increase in performance. Low-end and midrange response will improve dramatically, although maximum RPM capability will actually go down by around 500 RPM with the larger engine trying to breathe through the same carb/heads/etc.
Done right, a 1775 can be quite docile and yet still make over 100HP (ported stock-valve heads, dual 2-bbl carbs, counterweighted crankshaft etc. etc.....such an engine can be driven all day at 90+ MPH and not even break a sweat (my son has one in his `77 Beetle, does mid-15s in the quarter and burns Regular gas). It's about a $2500 proposition (compared to ~$1500 for a stocker) to build one like that.
A cheap "rebuild" based on a worn-out case might make it to 75MPH but I wouldn't expect it to last very long there, regardless of displacement.

Quote 0 0
flash

My VW mechanic has re-built this motor twice, so it may have newer things in it's guts than the 300,000 miles would indicate.  He did mention he would upgrade the carbs.

Just kickin' this around as I don't have the money to do it now anyway.

Thanks for the input.

Loren
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
71SuperBee
Hey there loren, nice to hear from everyone again. I am sad to say that my beetle is getting rebuilt. I dropped the engine, and pulled the pistons jugs heads. I got a vw tech putting main bearings and seals back into it. With this i should be ok to run the new stuff without having to worry about the main seals and such.. I would stay stock loren. Keep rebuilding it. If you want power you may want to go bigger on the engine and make it fit , if it doesn't.. Anyway just a thought not a mechanic here. LOL.. Take care.

Aaron
71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
Tobra

If you can afford a nice counter-balanced crank, get one, get one if you can't afford it if you plan to keep the car long term

'79 Super Beetle Convertible, Topline Sport+ springs and disc brake conversion. SS brake lines, KYB GR-2struts and Gas-a-just shocks
Quote 0 0